Add --parents option to mv command in order to create parents directorie

From: Rémy Lefevre
Subject: Add --parents option to mv command in order to create parents directories
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 18:55:38 +0200

Hello,

mkdir and cp commands have the --parents option to create parents directories as needed. But this option is missing in mv. One has to create first the directory structure using mkdir --parents and then mv the file. This option is fine for simple moving command, but if one want to move files according to a pattern in a big tree structure, it starts to be too complicate as the directory name should be extracted for almost each moved file.

So another solution is to use the cp --parents command and then delete the original files. But this solution is far from good for all the reasons that differentiate a copy from a move.

So I propose to add a --parents option to mv command in order to create the parents directories as needed. In the case of acceptance, I could write a patch to add this feature.

Regards,

Rémy.