Re: coreutils FAQ link in manpages and/or --help output

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: coreutils FAQ link in manpages and/or --help output
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:34:38 -0500

Pádraig Brady wrote, On 02/28/2013 08:12 AM:

>>> I like it.

Looks great.

Since you're updating the website to make it more approachable, may I suggest
two more changes?

1. In the "Downloads" section, put a direct link to the official GIT repository
( http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git ) ?
The current text says:
  Coreutils source releases can be found at XXXX
  Test source releases can be found at XXXX
  The latest source code, along with a revision history, can be found in the
Savannah repository

It's true that it mentions the Savannah repository, but it's not immediately
clear what's going on.
And to actually see the Git page, one has to click on the "Savannah repository"
link (and the Savannah page is a bit of an overloaded mess), then go to the
"Source Code" drop-down menu, and click on "Browse Source Code" - not exactly
intuitive.

If we could add a simple line below that says:
  View git source code repository:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git
It would be much more convenient.

2. In the "Downloads" section, mention which is the latest version, and provide
a direct link to it.
This requires a bit of work every time a new release is made, but it's very
helpful for someone who just wants to download the latest version without
exploring the GNU FTP website.

-gordon