Re: RFE: hash-type in sum utils

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: RFE: hash-type in sum utils
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:01:37 +0200

Ondrej Oprala wrote:
> Hi, I haven't heard from this thread since I posted the last patch,
> are there still things to correct or should I consider it closed?

There are still things to fix.
For example, in your new test,

  +for i in 'a\b' 'a\' a$'\n'b a$'\t'b; do
  +  :> "$i"
  +  md5sum --tag "$i" >> check.md5sum
  +done

The uses of $'\n' and $'\t' are not portable.
Use something like this instead:

nl='
'
tab='   '

for i in 'a\b' 'a\' "a${nl}b" "a${tab}b"; do

Also, please include some literal expected output to
show how escaping makes a difference in the output format.
Of course, you will use the usual "compare out exp || fail=1"
to verify that actual and expected are the same.

IMHO, the manual entry would be better with two
simple examples that demonstrate the new output format.