Re: sort -V and accents

From: Pierre-Jean
Subject: Re: sort -V and accents
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:48:22 +0200

Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:

> Pierre-Jean wrote:

> > I'm trying to sort a file containing accents and numbers,
> > but can't find a way to do this correctly:

> The trick is to specify sorting with "-f" for the first column
> and "-V" for the second.  Then it does what you seem to want:
>
>     echo "
>     A 10
>     A 9
>     E 10
>     E 9
>     e 10
>     e 9
>     é 10
>     é 9
>     F 10
>     f 9" | sort -k1,1f -k2,2V
>
>     A 9
>     A 10
>     e 9
>     E 9
>     e 10
>     E 10
>     é 9
>     é 10
>     f 9
>     F 10

This is better, but still not perfect: "é 9" should be
before "e 10", like "E 9" is before "e 10", as in a
dictionnary, where "éa" is before "eb". That means that
e=E=é=è=É=È if something after makes a différence.

Look at this example:

echo "
é 9
e 10
éa
eb
E 9" | sort -k1,1f -k2,2V

E 9
e 10
é 9
éa
eb

"E 9" is correctly moved on first place, but the placement of
"é 9" doesn't follow the same law.

I probably can do with that "unperfect" order, because such
situation are not frequent in real life, but if there's a
solution, I'd be happy to know it.

> There are several examples showing how to use sort in the
> documentation.  Run "info coreutils sort" to display it,
> or find it on-line:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/s/coreutils/manual/html_node/sort-invocation.html

This is nice, because I had misunderstood the usage of -k by
reading the man page.

Cheers,

Pierre-Jean.