Re: Change to rmdir flag?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Change to rmdir flag?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:16:17 -0600

On 06/28/2012 04:48 PM, Steven Lowson wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I would like to propose a change to one of the rmdir flags specifically
> --ignore-fail-on-non-empty to something a bit more succinct. A more
> suitable name would be -force or -f.

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, we're unlikely to burn a short
letter without existing precedence in some other implementation, since
that risks collisions with future standardization.  But do you realize
that long options can be abbreviated if the abbreviation is unambiguous?
 Therefore, 'rmdir --i' is equivalent to 'rmdir
--ignore-fail-on-non-empty', which is almost as good as your proposed
'rmdir -f' and shorter than your proposed 'rmdir --force'.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266