Re: PATCH: relpath

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: PATCH: relpath
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 09:33:04 +0100

On 05/13/2012 04:27 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> `--relative-base=BASE'
>>     Only output relative names when both the `--relative-to' and processed
>>     FILEs are descendants of BASE.  Otherwise output the absolute file name.
>>     Note this option honors the @option{-m} and @option{-e} options
>>     pertaining to file existence.
>
> '--relative-to' and '--relative-base' are too long. Would you please
> add a one-letter shortcut, such as -t and -b?

Well short options are a bit of a trade off.

-t or -b would detract from the readability of a command
using them and thus would be useful just to save typing.
These days though there are other aids to both memory
and typing, like shell tab completion and
editor auto completion.

Also a factor is the frequency of use.
ls for example is a command used very often,
so can benefit from some short options.
I see realpath being used less interactively,
and more in scripts where readability is more important.

cheers,
Pádraig.