Re: split: support unlimited number of split files

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: split: support unlimited number of split files
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 18:07:52 +0100

> Ah drats, yes you need to check the combinations.
>
> $ printf "%s\n" .b a. | LC_ALL=en_US sort
> a.
> .b
>
> $ printf "%s\n" . a | LC_ALL=en_US sort
> .
Yep. BTW, do you know where I could find the sorting rules for each
locale? I was looking for it to help my argumentation but I did not find
this information.

> So that means we can't have a variable length generated suffix
> in combination with --additional-suffix.
>
> 2 options I see for that.
>
> 1. Make --additional-suffix require --suffix-length
> 2. Make this variable length suffix only on with --suffix-length=auto
> and have that mutually exclusive with --additional-suffix
I don't follow you, this issue can only occurs with the potential new
behavior (case 2 in my first mail) : xaa ... azz ... azzaa ...

But not with the old behavior I have reimplemented : xaa ... xyz xzaaa
xzaab ...

Or maybe I miss a special case ?

Cheers,

Jérémy