RE: dd: add 'skip_bytes' and 'count_bytes' operands

From: Voelker, Bernhard
Subject: RE: dd: add 'skip_bytes' and 'count_bytes' operands
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:20:40 +0100

Eric Blake wrote:
> Because POSIX requires that one.
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/dd.html
>
> For the bs=, cbs=, ibs=, and obs= operands, the application shall supply
> an expression specifying a size in bytes. The expression, expr, can be:
>     Two or more positive decimal numbers (with or without k or b)
> separated by x, specifying the product of the indicated values

Cool, that's new to me!

Maybe this form should be made more prominent, as it outclasses
all the other forms: if you misremember the suffix e.g. for 2048,
then you can simply use the multiplication with 'x':

  dd if=file1 of=file2 count=1 bs=32x2048

I didn't find that form in the info page. Is it documented there?

Have a nice day,
Berny