uniq --accumulate

From: Peng Yu
Subject: uniq --accumulate
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:56:13 -0600

Hi,

Suppose that I have a table of the following, where the last column is
a number. I'd like to accumulate the number of rows that are the same
for all the remaining columns.

A 1
A 3
X 2
X 3
Y 3

The result will be the following. Although this is can be easily done
by awk, etc, I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to add an additional
option '--accumulate' to uniq. I'd recommend adding such an option if
anybody in coreutils develop team also think this is useful.

A 4
X 5
Y 3

--