Re: command for relative path

From: Dmitry V. Levin
Subject: Re: command for relative path
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 03:07:54 +0400

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 07:47:39PM +0000, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
> On 11/13/11, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> > AFAIR the coreutils' realpath is called readlink. ;)
> >
> Except readlink currently doesn't work for symlinks, as it insists on
> following them before canonicalizing pathnames.

Unfortunately, I fail to understand, what do you mean by saying that
"readlink currently doesn't work for symlinks".

In default mode, readlink just prints symlink value.
In any of its three canonicalization modes, readlink works by following
every symlink in every component of the given name recursively.

> > Would "readlink --relative" or something like this be a good choice?
> > Or should it rather be a new utility?
> >
> I'd prefer a new utility packaged along with an existing realpath
> utility,

By talking about an existing realpath utility you certainly do not mean
an utility from GNU coreutils.

--
ldv