Re: make -q and maintainer-makefile issues?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: make -q and maintainer-makefile issues?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:31:02 -0700

On 08/11/2011 06:49 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> I'm not sure if we should revert this part of your change.

Unfortunately if that part is reverted, then coreutils would lose
all gnulib fixes in the gettext area, due to the funny way that
'bootstrap' invokes autopoint.  This includes not only the fix for
make -q but also fixes for uClibc, ksh's FPATH, visibility decls, and
probably some other stuff (I got tired of reading the diff).

If there's some way to keep the gnulib gettext fixes, but still
bootstrap on Cygwin, that'd be good.  In the meantime, surely it's
not a great loss if coreutils can't bootstrap on Cygwin.
Bootstrapping is for developers who have recent tools, and we
needn't worry overly much about bootstrapping on platforms that
don't have up-to-date tools.