new snapshot available: coreutils-8.9.77-4e9ab7

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: new snapshot available: coreutils-8.9.77-4e9ab7
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:19:39 +0100

Here's a snapshot of what should soon be tagged as coreutils-8.10.
I expect to release 8.10 on Friday, so any testing you can do
between now and then would be most welcome.

Since this changes how "cp" handles sparse files, it is particularly
useful to build and run the tests on different types of file systems.
You'll see significant benefit when copying sparse files on recent linux
kernels (2.6.27 or newer) when using a source file system that supports
the FIEMAP ioctl, mainly ext4, btrfs, xfs, ocfs2, gfs2.  ext2 and ext3
are supposed to have FIEMAP support, too, but I haven't tested those.
If you test with btrfs, you should expect one or two test failure unless
you're using the very latest from fedora rawhide, in which case you'll
see only 1 test failure (cp/sparse-fiemap; I'll work around that tomorrow).

coreutils snapshot: (.gz files are here, too)
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz      4.6 MB
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-8.9.77-4e9ab7.tar.xz

There are .gz and .sig files here, too:
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-8.9.77-4e9ab7.tar.xz

Here's the NEWS so far:

** Bug fixes

  du would abort with a failed assertion when two conditions are met:
  part of the hierarchy being traversed is moved to a higher level in the
  directory tree, and there is at least one more command line directory
  argument following the one containing the moved sub-tree.
  [bug introduced in coreutils-5.1.0]

  join --header now skips the ordering check for the first line
  even if the other file is empty.  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.5]

  rm -f no longer fails for EINVAL or EILSEQ on file systems that
  reject file names invalid for that file system.

  uniq -f NUM no longer tries to process fields after end of line.
  [bug introduced in coreutils-7.0]

** New features

  cp now copies sparse files efficiently on file systems with FIEMAP
  support (ext4, btrfs, xfs, ocfs2).  Before, it had to read 2^20 bytes
  when copying a 1MiB sparse file.  Now, it copies bytes only for the
  non-sparse sections of a file.  Similarly, to induce a hole in the
  output file, it had to detect a long sequence of zero bytes.  Now,
  it knows precisely where each hole in an input file is, and can
  reproduce them efficiently in the output file.  mv also benefits
  when it resorts to copying, e.g., between file systems.

  join now supports -o 'auto' which will automatically infer the
  output format from the first line in each file, to ensure
  the same number of fields are output for each line.

** Changes in behavior

  join no longer reports disorder when one of the files is empty.
  This allows one to use join as a field extractor like:
  join -a1 -o 1.3,1.1 - /dev/null

Changes in coreutils since v8.9:

Andreas Schwab (1):
      tests: minor correction

Jie Liu (3):
      cp: copy sparse files efficiently using the FIEMAP ioctl
      tests: add a new test for FIEMAP-copy
      copy.c: add FIEMAP_FLAG_SYNC to fiemap ioctl

Jim Meyering (56):
      post-release administrivia
      du: don't abort when a subdir is renamed during traversal
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      doc: clean up HACKING guidelines
      tests: add a test for today's uniq bug
      uniq: replace a wasteful loop with simple calculation
      doc: show how to shred more efficiently
      doc: update NEWS
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      tests: avoid FP failure in new du test
      maint: use slightly more efficient process in README-release
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      doc: fix wording in warning about potential conflict with built-in
      tail: avoid new diagnostic when applying -f to a pipe on linux-2.3.38
      split: avoid a new, spurious warning from gcc-4.6.0
      tests: avoid rare FP failure in new du test
      tests: avoid FP failure due to suspension
      tests: don't hide all trace of the vc_exe_in_TESTS test
      tests: remove obsolete uses of "$$" in temporary file names
      tests: exercise more of the new FIEMAP copying code
      tests: accommodate varying filefrag -v "flags" output
      tests: relax the root-tests cross-check
      copy.c: adjust comments, tweak semantics
      fiemap.h: include <stdint.h>, not <linux/types.h>
      build: distribute new file, fiemap.h
      build: distribute new test script, filefrag-extent-compare
      fiemap copy: don't let write failure go unreported; adjust style, etc.
      extent-scan: adjust naming and formatting
      copy: remove else-after-goto and adjust indentation
      copy: call extent_copy also when make_holes is false, ...
      copy: tweak variable name; improve a comment
      copy: don't allocate a separate buffer just for extent-based copy
      tests: ensure that FIEMAP-enabled cp copies a sparse file efficiently
      fiemap copy: rename some locals
      fiemap copy: simplify post-loop logic; improve comments
      fiemap copy: avoid a performance hit due to very small buffer
      fiemap copy: avoid leak-on-error
      copy: factor sparse-copying code into its own function, because
      copy: remove obsolete comment
      copy: make extent_copy use sparse_copy, rather than its own code
      tests: cp/fiemap: exercise previously-failing parts
      copy, tee: assume EINTR is always defined: remove #ifdefs
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      doc: NEWS: mention cp's improvement
      tests: remove duplicate fiemap-perf test
      tests: modernize sparse-fiemap test
      maint: update copyright year lists in new files
      tests: factor fiemap-related predicate into init.cfg
      maint: remove unused inclusion of "fiemap.h"
      tests: gfs2 also supports FIEMAP
      cp: fix copying a sparse file to a pipe
      tests: exercise a rarely-used corner of copy.c
      cp: always initialize extent_copy's output parameter
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      tests: correct part of fiemap-perf

Nadav Har'El (1):
      rm: ignore errno related to invalid file names

Ondřej Vašík (1):
      doc: specify how tr, echo, printf treat octal numbers

Paul Eggert (4):
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      gnulib: Also use dtoastr and ldtoastr modules.     This adjusts to the
recent splitting of the ftoastr module into 3
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-01/msg00199.html>.     *
bootstrap.conf (gnulib_modules): Add dtoastr, ldtoastr,     as coreutils needs
all 3 modules now.
      manual: document floating point better
      copy.c: ensure proper alignment of fiemap buffer

Pádraig Brady (9):
      maint: replace uses of ignore_ptr with ignore_value
      maint: suppress some clang scan-build warnings
      maint: trivial system header file cleanups
      maint: refactor to use read-file from gnulib
      join: add -o 'auto' to output a constant number of fields per line
      join: ensure --header skips the order check with empty files
      join: don't report disorder against an empty file
      doc: add alternatives for field processing not supported by cut
      cp: fix the buffer size used when writing zeros

Sami Kerola (1):
      uniq: don't continue field processing after end of line

jeff.liu (1):
      fiemap copy: add extent-scan.[ch], avoid a double-free and reorganize

Changes in gnulib since v8.9:

* gnulib fa6be5b...a036b76 (126):