[coreutils] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.5.188-9af44

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [coreutils] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.5.188-9af44
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:57:02 +0200

Here is a snapshot of the latest coreutils development sources.
Please build it and run "make check" on any systems you can, and
report any problems to address@hidden.

I expect to make a stable release in two or three days.

coreutils snapshot: (.gz files are here, too)
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz      4.5 MB
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-8.5.188-9af44.tar.xz

There are .gz and .sig files here, too:
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-8.5.188-9af44.tar.xz

Here's the new NEWS followed by over 700 lines of git-shortlog
output, including over 500 from gnulib.

GNU coreutils NEWS                                    -*- outline -*-

* Noteworthy changes in release ?.? (????-??-??) [?]

** Bug fixes

  du no longer multiply counts a file that is a directory or whose
  link count is 1, even if the file is reached multiple times by
  following symlinks or via multiple arguments.

  du -H and -L now consistently count pointed-to files instead of
  symbolic links, and correctly diagnose dangling symlinks.

  du --ignore=D now ignores directory D even when that directory is
  found to be part of a directory cycle.  Before, du would issue a
  "NOTIFY YOUR SYSTEM MANAGER" diagnostic and fail.

  split now diagnoses read errors rather than silently exiting.
  [bug introduced in coreutils-4.5.8]

  tac would perform a double-free when given an input line longer than 16KiB.
  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.3]

  tr now consistently handles case conversion character classes.
  In some locales, valid conversion specifications caused tr to abort,
  while in all locales, some invalid specifications were undiagnosed.
  [bugs introduced in coreutils 6.9.90 and 6.9.92]

** New features

  cp now accepts the --attributes-only option to not copy file data,
  which is useful for efficiently modifying files.

  du recognizes -d N as equivalent to --max-depth=N, for compatibility
  with FreeBSD.

  sort now accepts the --debug option, to highlight the part of the
  line significant in the sort, and warn about questionable options.

  sort now supports -d, -f, -i, -R, and -V in any combination.

  stat now accepts the %m format directive to output the mount point
  for a file.  It also accepts the %w and %W format directives for
  outputting the birth time of a file, if one is available.

** Changes in behavior

  df now consistently prints the device name for a bind mounted file,
  rather than its aliased target.

  du now uses less than half as much memory when operating on trees
  with many hard-linked files.  With --count-links (-l), or when
  operating on trees with no hard-linked files, there is no change.

  ls -l now uses the traditional three field time style rather than
  the wider two field numeric ISO style, in locales where a style has
  not been specified.  The new approach has nicer behavior in some
  locales, including English, which was judged to outweigh the disadvantage
  of generating less-predictable and often worse output in poorly-configured
  locales where there is an onus to specify appropriate non-default styles.
  [The old behavior was introduced in coreutils-6.0 and had been removed
   for English only using a different method since coreutils-8.1]

  rm's -d now evokes an error;  before, it was silently ignored.

  sort -g now uses long doubles for greater range and precision.

  sort -h no longer rejects numbers with leading or trailing ".", and
  no longer accepts numbers with multiple ".".  It now considers all
  zeros to be equal.

  sort now uses the number of available processors to parallelize
  the sorting operation.  The number of sorts run concurrently can be
  limited with the --parallel option or with external process
  control like taskset for example.

  stat now provides translated output when no format is specified.

  stat no longer accepts the --context (-Z) option.  Initially it was
  merely accepted and ignored, for compatibility.  Starting two years
  ago, with coreutils-7.0, its use evoked a warning.  Printing the
  SELinux context of a file can be done with the %C format directive,
  and the default output when no format is specified now automatically
  includes %C when context information is available.

  stat no longer accepts the %C directive when the --file-system
  option is in effect, since security context is a file attribute
  rather than a file system attribute.

  stat now outputs the full sub-second resolution for the atime,
  mtime, and ctime values since the Epoch, when using the %X, %Y, and
  %Z directives of the --format option.  This matches the fact that
  %x, %y, and %z were already doing so for the human-readable variant.

  touch's --file option is no longer recognized.  Use --reference=F (-r)
  instead.  --file has not been documented for 15 years, and its use has
  elicited a warning since coreutils-7.1.

  truncate now supports setting file sizes relative to a reference file.
  Also errors are no longer suppressed for unsupported file types, and
  relative sizes are restricted to supported file types.

Changes in coreutils since v8.5:

Aaron Burgemeister (1):
      stat: add %m to output the mount point for a file

Benno Schulenberg (1):
      ln: print a clearer error message when linking fails

Bruno Haible (1):
      doc: improve the info on md5sum security weaknesses

Chen Guo (2):
      sort: parallelize internal sort
      sort: speed up default full line sorting

Dan Hipschman (1):
      ls: fix a test failure that should have been skipped

Dmitry V. Levin (1):
      dircolors: add rxvt-unicode-256color terminal type

Eric Blake (21):
      dirname: tweak summary wording
      cat: improve documentation
      maint: ignore another gnulib generated file
      tests: silence 'make syntax-check'
      build: update to latest gnulib
      maint: avoid a hung 'make syntax-check' in VPATH build
      maint: update to latest gnulib
      maint: update to latest gnulib
      rm: remove no-op -d option
      maint: update to latest gnulib
      maint: update gnulib
      maint: update gnulib
      maint: update sample test template
      stat: support printing birthtime
      stat: print timestamps to full resolution
      stat: optimize and translate default format strings
      stat: print SELinux context when available
      tests: output --version of program under test
      build: fix build on Solaris 10
      stat: drop %C support when printing file system details
      build: complete the rename of get_date

Jim Meyering (82):
      post-release administrivia
      tests: clean up also upon SIGQUIT
      build: enable gnulib modules for more replacement headers
      maint: remove now-unnecessary #if HAVE_header_H tests.
      doc: tweak factor-describing wording
      build: remove now-useless configure-time header checks
      build: remove now-duplicate use of AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest; bootstrap, too
      maint: remove now-redundant definitions provided by sys/wait.h
      maint: remove now-redundant definitions provided by signal.h
      maint: extend the always_defined_macros syntax-check
      maint: factor trap-related code out of two syntax-check rules
      doc: update release procedure
      doc: factor hard-coded project-specific bits from README-release, ...
      tests: improve the always_defined_macros check
      tests: loosen/tighten the always_defined_macros check
      tests: rename a syntax-check
      tests: move sc_prohibit_always-defined_macros to gnulib's maint.mk
      tests: update help-version
      tests: begin using init.sh
      tests: provide a definition of gl_trap_ in cfg.mk
      tests: avoid a new syntax-check failure
      build: record that when building from git, gettext-0.18 is required
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      build: record the gettext-0.18 requirement also in configure.ac
      build: avoid a new -Wformat-induced warning
      tests: update init.sh from gnulib
      maint: fix the fs-magic-compare rule
      tests: exercise du's --max-depth option
      tests: fix cp-a-selinux to skip cleanly upon mkfs failure
      maint: make copyright comment consistent with all others
      maint: remove unneeded double quotes on RHS of shell assignments
      maint: don't emit an extra newline in each of two diagnostics
      tests: update help-version to work with parted, too
      tests: remove unnecessary single quotes in perl hash use: ->{'SYM'}
      stat: use gnulib's alignof module
      maint: correct indentation of case_GETOPT_* macro uses
      maint: replace each "for (;;)" with "while (true)"
      maint: make spacing around "=" consistent, even in IF_LINT
      touch: remove support for --file=REF_FILE option
      doc: mention the new coreutils@ mailing lists
      sort: avoid unnecessary use of sprintf
      maint: adjust INT_BUFSIZE_BOUND usage for maintainability
      ls: avoid just-introduced buffer overrun
      build: don't let a large sparse temporary file cause "make dist" to fail
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      dd: print a better diagnostic for an invalid block size
      doc: dd: discourage use of very large block sizes
      doc: fix comm's --help output so we generate a better man page
      stat: remove support for deprecated --context (-Z) option
      doc: df, du, ls: improve --blocksize description in --help
      tests: sync tests/init.sh from gnulib
      tests: move most helper functions from test-lib.sh to new init.cfg
      tests: fail rather than infloop in tail's inotify-rotate test
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest; update bootstrap, too
      dev-map: map device number to small non-negative
      di-set: manipulate sets of dev/inode pairs efficiently
      du: use less than half as much memory when tracking hard links
      du: increase the initial dev-inode set size
      system.h: define ATTRIBUTE_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT
      stat: getfilecon failure now evokes nonzero exit status
      di-set, ino-map: adjust a type, improve readability
      heap_alloc: avoid integer overflow
      sort: avoid gcc warning: explicitly ignore strtold result
      tac: avoid double free
      tac: suppress technically unneeded "free"
      build: use gettext-h, not gettext
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      maint: don't use obsolete gnulib modules
      build: use gnulib's new termios module
      tests: sync tests/init.sh from gnulib
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      maint: mention the du-exclude--vs--cycle-dir fix
      maint: suppress a bogus used-uninitialized warning in tr.c
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      maint: add a release prerequisite: check the NixOS/Hydra autobuilder
      maint: describe coreutils' policy on copyright year number ranges
      build: update gnulib to latest, for memmem/strstr fix
      build: update gnulib to latest, to avoid FreeBSD compilation failure:
      build: update gnulib to latest; for parse-datetime.y fix
      build: update gnulib, to fix OpenBSD test failures

Jon Ringuette (1):
      du: recognize -d N as equivalent to --max-depth=N

Mike Frysinger (2):
      build: support fully excluding stdbuf from the build
      dircolors: add screen.rxvt & terminator to TERM list

Paul Eggert (24):
      sort: use long doubles only when effective
      du: don't miscount duplicate directories or link-count-1 files
      doc: Add advice about ChangeLogs and synchronizing submodules
      du: Hash with a mechanism that's simpler and takes less memory.
      du: avoid spurious warnings with 64-bit gcc -W
      chcon, chmod, chown, du: don't translate "%s"
      du: add NEWS entry for recent du -L fixes
      sort: don't assume ASCII when parsing K, M, G suffixes
      sort: omit some "inline"s
      sort: fix bug with EOF at buffer refill
      sort: fix --debug display with very large offsets
      sort: -h now handles comparisons such as 6000K vs 5M and 5MiB vs 5MB
      sort: revert recent -h changes and use a more-conservative approach
      sort: fix bug in --debug when \0 is followed by \t
      init.sh: work around trap limitation of some shells
      sort: -R now uses less memory on long lines with internal NULs
      sort: tune and refactor --debug code, and fix minor underlining bug
      sort: support all combinations of -d, -f, -i, -R, and -V
      sort: speed up -R with long lines in hard locales
      sort: free/xmalloc rather than xrealloc
      sort, who: prefer free+malloc to realloc when contents are irrelevant
      * tests/misc/sort (use-nl): Fix comment to match the test case.
      sort: destroy spin locks portably
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest

Paul R. Eggert (15):
      dd: also spell out size on memory exhaustion
      maint: omit $(POW_LIB) when linking, as this is no longer needed
      sort: fix a bug with sort -u and xmemcoll0, and tune keycompare
      sort: add a test case for the sort -u bug
      randread: don't require -lrt
      sort: -R no longer disables multithreading
      randread: use /dev/urandom to seed, not just getpid etc
      randread: run 2x faster on 64-bit hosts, don't assume no padding bits
      tests/misc/sort-merge-fdlimit: don't assume -R opens /dev/urandom
      du: tune, and fix some -L bugs with dangling or cyclic symlinks
      sort: use more-consistent style with const
      sort: omit unnecessary casts
      sort: omit 'restrict' in doubtful cases
      sort: omit unnecessary mutex unlock+lock; simplify heap access
      sort: make struct heap private

Pádraig Brady (35):
      sort: use long doubles for general numeric mode
      sort: add a --debug option to highlight key extents
      tests: fix sort-debug-keys when fr_FR.utf8 not available
      sort: --debug: output data independent warnings and info
      doc: fix sort info about version sort skipping blanks
      tests: fix sort-debug-keys when fr_FR.utf8 not available
      sort: adjust the leading blanks --debug warning
      maint: remove a redundant sort parameter from a test
      truncate: support sizes relative to an existing file
      truncate: improve handling of non regular files
      doc: reference POS syntax in --help for sort --key
      ls: use the POSIX date style when the locale does not specify one
      cp: add an option to only copy the file attributes
      tests: make tests requiring a delay to pass, more robust
      maint: heap.c: simplify dynamic allocations
      maint: reorganize latest NEWS
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest; update bootstrap, too
      sort: fix a bug when sorting unterminated lines
      fadvise: new module providing a simpler interface to posix_fadvise
      provide POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL hint to appropriate utils
      maint: exclude tests from the set_program_name syntax-check
      stat: fix a small memory leak with %N
      df: always print the device name for bind mounted files
      doc: clarify that stat -f implies -L (follows symlinks)
      join: improve performance when operating on whole lines
      tests: exclude some tests when running on NFS
      tests: make various timeouts more robust
      tests: work around a failure with dash 0.5.4
      tests: fix an erroneous stat failure with bind mounts
      tests: fix a printf portability issue
      tr: fix various issues with case conversion
      maint: ensure the mbsalign module is C89 compatible
      tests: refactor the stat-birthtime test to use retry_delay_
      stat: adjust the printing of SELinux context
      split: fix reporting of read errors

Ralf Wildenhues (1):
      doc: avoid a warning from newer texinfo

Changes in gnulib since v8.5:

* gnulib 6d126a8...a1885e2 (532):
> [...]
  > autoupdate
  > gnulib-tool: Avoid stderr output on IRIX related to 'alias', 'unalias'.
  > init.sh: penalize a set-x-impaired shell; don't disqualify it
  > unsetenv: fix OpenBSD bug
  > strtod: work around IRIX 6.5 bug
  > autoupdate
  > maint: fix ChangeLog ordering
  > getopt: optimize previous patch
  > init.sh: disqualify shells for which set -x corrupts stderr
  > gnulib-tool: Avoid stderr output on IRIX related to 'alias', 'unalias'.
  > Fix formatting of ChangeLog entry.
  > regex documentation update from Reuben Thomas <address@hidden>, 20 Aug 2010
12:04:39 +0100
  > regex documentation update from Reuben Thomas <address@hidden>, 20 Aug 2010
12:04:39 +0100
  > getopt: handle POSIXLY_CORRECT set but not exported
  > gnulib-tool: Highlight the changed options.
  > update from texinfo
  > doc tweaks
  > uniwidth/width: Update comment.
  > isinf, isnan: Relax license.
  > gnulib-tool: Help migration from --import to --add-import or --update.
  > Update doc about gnulib-tool.
  > gnulib-tool: Change --import. New options --add/remove-import.
  > Doc update.
  > gnulib-tool: Don't talk about CVS any more.
  > maint.mk: avoid obscure sc_copyright_check failure in coreutils
  > gnulib-tool: Fix expression that counts directories.
  > avoid coreutils "make distcheck" failure
  > gnulib-tool: Avoid error when run in a package without Makefile.am.
  > update-copyright test: Improve output when perl is missing or too old.
  > Don't augment PATH in TESTS_ENVIRONMENT.
  > tests: prohibit augmenting PATH via TESTS_ENVIRONMENT
  > strdup: Fix compilation error in C++ mode.
  > dirfd: Fix compilation error in C++ mode on MacOS X, *BSD, IRIX.
  > Set PATH_SEPARATOR the same way autoconf does.
  > Set PATH_SEPARATOR the same way autoconf does.
  > autoupdate
  > tests: init.sh improvements for re-exec'ing with zsh
  > hash: fix safe_hasher const typo
  > test-update-copyright.sh: require perl 5.8.0
  > wctype: fix typo in previous commit
  > test-update-copyright.sh: skip test if Perl is too old
  > wctype: Avoid compilation error on IRIX 6.5.30.
  > New module 'socketlib'.
  > fcntl-h, etc.: prefer O_SEARCH to O_RDONLY when applicable
  > autoupdate
  > New module 'host-cpu-c-abi'.
  > hash: factor, and guard against misbehaving hasher function
  > hash: silence spurious clang warning
  > strstr, memmem, strcasestr: avoid leaked shell message
  > tests: silence clang warning
  > gettext: Fix recent mistake.
  > selinux-h: Offer a --without-selinux option.
  > Make the module 'realloc-gnu' work again on AIX and OSF/1.
  > Make the module 'calloc-gnu' work again on AIX and OSF/1.
  > Make the module 'malloc-gnu' work again on AIX and OSF/1.
  > Update modules list.
  > realloc-gnu: Really add the module description.
  > Tests for module 'realloc-gnu'. * modules/realloc-gnu-tests: New file. *
tests/test-realloc-gnu.c: New file.
  > Tests for module 'calloc-gnu'. * modules/calloc-gnu-tests: New file. *
tests/test-calloc-gnu.c: New file.
  > Tests for module 'malloc-gnu'. * modules/malloc-gnu-tests: New file. *
tests/test-malloc-gnu.c: New file.
  > Rename module 'realloc' -> 'realloc-gnu'.
  > Rename module 'calloc' -> 'calloc-gnu'.
  > Rename module 'malloc' -> 'malloc-gnu'.
  > pread, pwrite: add missing dependency
  > unistr/u*-strchr: Fix tests dependencies.
  > read-file: Don't occupy too much unused memory.
  > read-file: Avoid memory reallocations with regular files. *
lib/read-file.c: Include <sys/stat.h>, <stdio.h>, <stdint.h>. (fread_file):
With regular files, use the remaining length as the initial buffer size.  Check
against overflow. * modules/read-file (Depends-on): Add ftello, malloc-posix,
stdint, sys_stat.