consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] A GNU Consensus for the GNU Year!

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] A GNU Consensus for the GNU Year!
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:32:46 +0100

On 31 December 2012 08:38, hellekin (GNU Consensus) <address@hidden> wrote:
We're pleased to announce the launch of our activities on this new
year's eve.

Toward a GNU Consensus on Free Software for Social Networking[1]

Dear fellow hackers,

after almost a year working in the shadows, we're pleased to announce
the launch of the GNU/consensus project[2]. You're invited to join the
mailing list[3], and to register your Free Software project as a
stakeholder[4].

+1 looks like a great initiative

I very much look forward to testing interop.  May I suggest three points that can operate as a starting point.

1. Someone in Project A wishes to friend someone in Project B

2. Someone in Project B wishes to friend someone in Project A

3. The two people, having established friendship, should be able to send each other a private message.

You will find that 90% of projects that claim to inteorp CANNOT do this.  Some will never be able to do it.  Let's quickly try towork out which projects are serious about interop, and for which, it is a marketing vehicle.

Also I am concerned about GNU favouring proprietary protocols, over existing web standards, or standards under creative commons.

Will it be a MUST that GNU consensus will preserve the concept of freedom of thought, such that, anyone is free to inspect and free to MODIFY the protocols used?  Will the license of the protocols used reflect that?

Happy GNU year!

==
hk

[1] https://gnu.org/consensus/manifesto