codeboost-dev

Re: [Codeboost-dev] Make check fails...

From: Otto Skrove Bagge
Subject: Re: [Codeboost-dev] Make check fails...
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:21:48 +0100

Hi, Shishir,

I haven't had time to look at your problems yet, but I was planning to do
some work this week or next trying out Stratego 9.4, so I may be able to help
you then.

Note that any trouble you might have with 'make check' could be due to bugs
in the code from CVS -- I'm a bit unsure about the state of the CVS HEAD;
I've been working on my own branch since last spring (well, actually I've
hardly done any programming this past half year).

If your main interest is simply learning Stratego, it might be a better
idea for you to look at some of the other projects (such as the Tiger
compiler, for instance).  CodeBoost contains a lot of old code (some of it
dates all the way back to the originial Stratego 0.2 release...), and the
Stratego language has evolved quite a lot of the past years, so the coding
style and techniques used is a bit outdated; many things could be done more
elegantly using the new features available in newer Stratego versions.
CodeBoost is also quite large and complicated (as is C++...).

But please, feel free to look at CodeBoost anyway, particularly if you're
interested is in (domain-specific) optimisation and/or C++
transformations.  I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but I
haven't been using CodeBoost for a while, so it might take me some time to
get up to speed.  I plan on doing more CodeBoost work this winter/spring --
I'm developing CodeBoost as part of my PhD project (as is Karl Trygve), so
I'm stuck with it for another three years...

Anyway, here's answers for a few of your questions:

Shishir Ramam <address@hidden> writes:

> Arthur,
>
> In src/pretty/abox2text.r modified `import abox` to
> `import abox-ext`.
>
> Apart from that, I had to copy over some autotools
> configuration files. After a bit of struggling,
> landed up copying a acconf.m4 from xml-tools.
> The others were the scripts `missing`,
> `mkinstalldirs`.
> and a few others.

I thought those were supposed to be provided automatically by automake
etc. (see the 'reconf' script and INSTALL.CVS).

> The full details (including a shell script to get
> this going) is pending admin approval. Will logs and
> stuff, this got to being over the 40k limit.
> This evening, I'll split them up and post the hacks
> to make codeboost compile.

I seem to have mislaid the admin password, and mailman doesn't seem to have
any password retrieval/reset functionality (for the admin password), so I
am (for the moment) unable to approve the message.

> Also, I have ported the patch to opencxx2.7.
> Is there any interest? Will be posting it too anyway.

I'll include it on the CodeBoost home page.  I don't actually think there's
much point in using newer versions of OpenC++ (except that you need a
fairly recent version if you're using GCC 3.2+), as the parser doesn't seem
to change much.

> pp-aterm! And i did this *by hand* to figure the
> difference! Is there any place with documentation
> for the rich set of functionality that is obviously
> there. Just not obvious to the novice.
> I'll try and keep a track of my learning experience,
> but can use help.

There's also an adiff included with CodeBoost (src/util/), which gives you
an ATerm comparison, possibly ignoring insignificant differences (such as
differing variable names).

> Is there any other documentation for codeboost proper?
> The only thing I am going by are Otto's & Karl's
> theses. But these lack implementation details.
> Couldn't find any others.

There are the papers and theses available from http://www.codeboost.org/,
but as you say, none of these gives you many implementation details.  Other
than that, there's a tiny bit of documentation included with the sources
(the INSTALL and INSTALL.CVS files, and a man page and some other stuff in
the doc/ subdirectory).

-otto