Now JamVM works on my compujter :-)

From: theUser BL
Subject: Now JamVM works on my compujter :-)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:17:56 +0000

At the beginning I have had problems using the libffi comming with the GCC for JamVM. The libffi-hompage http://sourceware.org/libffi/ having a very old version of libffi, so that it don't compile for x86-64 and other computer.

But I have seen, that Portable.net 0.6.12, which I have had at home, comes also with libffi and it creates a compiled library of it in the portable.net directory.
And with setting the env-variables LDFLAGS, CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
export LDFLAGS="-L $HOME/pnet/lib/..."
export CFLAGS="-I $HOME/..."
export CPPFLAGS="-I $HOME/..."
it now works. :-)

The example-programs of Classpath works. But foxhunt for example creates everytime a "Speicherzugriffsfehler" (On my Linux-distribution the error-messages comes only in german. But I think "Speicherzugriffsfehler" can be translated to "Memoryaccesserror").

And with the Swing-Example of Classpath 0.18 and some other programs there comes _sometimes_ the "Speicherzugriffsfehler".
For example with the Swing-Demo of Classpath:
There existing three different possibilities, if I run the program without the "-Dswing.defaultlaf=.." option:
- it can be at the beginning ending with "Speicherzugriffsfehler"
- it can at first showing the first window where the options are shown perfect, but if I click on "ok", it aborts with "Speicherzugriffsfehler" - after clicking "ok", the real window opens and the program runs very stable.

And it is mystical. All three possibilities are after every new start of the program possible.
Sometimes if I input "jamvm -cp examples.jar gnu.classpath.examples..."
it worked the third possibility. So that no error comes.
Later give in the same, I must very often typing in the same, until it starts and don't write "Speicherzugriffsfehler". It seems, that the "Speicherzugriffsfehler" comes with the principle of contingency. Randomly sometimes it gaves an error and sometimes it runs.

But that existing with SableVM and CacaoJVM, too.
The randomly error-message in CacaoJVM is:
Cannot find Java function at 0x2aaaaaaf8ba1
cacao: ../../../../src/vm/jit/codegen.inc:714: codegen_findmethod: Zusicherung »0« nicht erfüllt.
Abgebrochen

This mystical randomly comming error-messages existing only in JVMs with GNU Classpath. All other programs running after the start exactly like the same (how it must be). If there is an error, then this error comes after _every_ start. And if a program runs, then it runs after _every_ start. Only GNU Classpath JVMs running sometimes and sometimes they gives out error-messages.

I have now also used the Metal LAF in the Classpath demo.
What I don't know before is, that is it not allowed to use "-D..." at the end of the command line.
It must comming before the program-name.
So "jamvm -cp example.zip gnu.classpath... -Dswing..."
working like don't give in the option. Only
"jamvm -cp examples.zip -Dswing... gnu classpath..."
works.

And with this, I have seen, that Suns Java can also still running the Classpath Swing-Demo program.
So the problem is really in the GNULookAndFeel.
But I know, that there existing an older version of the GNULookAndFeel, which also runs with Suns Java. So I will now download older versions of GNU Classpath, to see since which version the GNULookAndFeel is incompatible to Suns Java.

Greatings
theuserbl