Re: Questions about programs

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Questions about programs
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:50:21 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 18:37 +0000, theUser BL wrote:
> Why use GNU Classpath a Swing-Demo program, which can't run on Suns Java?

Not on purpose. But probably nobody ever used the Suns Java.
If someone tests them with that runtime and provides patches to fix any
problems then we would be happy to accept them.

> http://www.theuserbl.ag.vu/jdk15err.txt
> I have then tried to use Suns Java 1.5. And have additionally used both
> possible LookAndFeel-option.
> But both failed.

Interesting. Maybe a bug in their plaf handling or a bug in our
GNULookAndFeel.

> A second question I have is about Suns lincense of its demo programs:
> http://www.theuserbl.ag.vu/licenses.txt
>
> In Java 1.2 (and I think until 1.4) Sun have had two different licenses. One
> BSD like and one which seems not to be OpenSource.
>
> But since Java 1.5 there existing a new license under which now _all_
> demo-programs stands.
> It looks like a BSD-license.
> But I am not sure, if it is really an OpenSource license.

The first two notices on that page are definitely not Free Software
licenses. The last one does look like it is a Free Software license
(which almost automatically means it is also a OpenSource license).
But for legal questions please direct queries to address@hidden

Can these Demo programs be downloaded somewhere separately as a package
that just contains the free software bits?

Cheers,

Mark