RE: Japitools 1.5 support tough design issue

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Japitools 1.5 support tough design issue
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:04:14 +0200

Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Out of interest, exactly what difference in behavior would you see in
> the compiler and/or reflection based on those two different
> declarations of MyList?

Only the obvious things really. With reflection you can use
Class.getGenericSuperclass() to get a Type that describes the super
class in generic terms (including the complicated stuff) and the
compiler uses it to determine what exactly you can do with the class.

The subinterfaces of java.lang.reflect.Type give you a pretty good idea
of what Japi would need to understand to acurately support of the
generics features. I have to warn you though, when I originally look at
it I kind of lost hope... ;-)

Regards,
Jeroen