Re: classpath 0.06?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: classpath 0.06?
Date: 27 Jul 2003 17:20:43 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:56, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> Sorry, maybe  a idiot question,  but is there  a release plan  for 0.06,
> 0.07, ..., 1.0?

Good questions. There is no real release plan for 0.0x, 0.0x+1, etc. We
just agreed to make a release roughly every couple of months. The plan
for GNU Classpath 1.0 has always been to have core libraries comparable
to what JDK 1.1 provided. We have reached that goal and gone far beyond
it for some packages, but for java.awt this is still not reached. Two
other important things. The first is that we want be merged as much as
possible with libgcj, again most has been done see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/java/libgcj-classpath-compare.html> but there remain
a couple of tricky things not really on that page (e.g. char set
encoding and url handlers). And merging more with libgcj relies on the
other important thing to have for 1.0 and that is a clear maintainable
VM integration layer (the SecurityManager/VMSecurityManager and
Thread/VMThread split mentioned earlier are part of this).

What this all means is that for declaring GNU Classpath 1.0 we want to
have something that we feel is good enough that free VMs can use it out
of the box and that we can confidentially say is maintainable and stable
enough to use.

> Is it a problem if there are more releases?

No, we can certainly do releases (or semi-stable snapshots) more often
then every 6 months. But it does take a non-zero amount of time to
prepare a real release so then we should make sure we have enough
resources to pull that off.

> Isn't the website  a bit out of date  or will it be updated  only when a
> new release will be done?

If someone gives suggestions or even wants to update it a bit please do.
Documentation is always the last priority even though it is very
important to get right. All current pages can be found in CVS under
doc/www.gnu.org. There is a little README in that directory that needs
at least one change and that is that we would really like people to
discuss anything about it on this mailinglist.

Cheers,

Mark