Re: Cryptography provider

From: Joerg Brunsmann
Subject: Re: Cryptography provider
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:37:42 +0100 (CET)

--- Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:

> KeyStore:
> - ??? -> Nothing implemented yet.
>   (What standard keystore format should we support?
>    Maybe support a readonly version of the proprietary Sun format
>    to migrate people away from it?)

Sun's JDKs allow both reading and writing of keystore type JKS.
With an installed JSSE reading of PKCS #12 is possible:

         JKS  PKCS12
  read    x     x
  write   x

If your goal is compatibility it makes sense to support PKCS #12
as well since JSSE has been integrated into the JDK 1.4.

If your goal is to support and push forward open standards then
perhaps the following matrix makes sense?

         JKS  PKCS12
  read    x     x
  write         x

BTW: Does a specification of the JKS format exists? If yes: where? If
not: how is it possible that open source JKS implementations exists?

Jörg

Weihnachts-Einkäufe ohne Stress! http://shopping.yahoo.de