Re: address@hidden: Re: [Jikesrvm-researchers] Congratulations on Jikes-

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Jikesrvm-researchers] Congratulations on Jikes-RVM 2.0 - questions about licensing.]
Date: 25 Oct 2001 18:32:26 -0400

address@hidden (Kevin A. Burton) writes:

> Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Found on the debian-java mailinglist.
>
> I would have CC'd this mailing list but the CC list was already long.
>
> > The Jikes VM is interesting because they say it is written mostly in java.
> > <http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/> And they encourage to
> > develop a Free Classlibrary for it.  (It would ofcourse be better if we
> > could
> > convince them to donate their current class library to Classpath.)  I am
> > currently investigating the KissMe VM which is already fairly integrated
> > with
> > Classpath. If someone else wants to investigate how hard it would be to
> > support Jikes VM that would be really nice.
> <snip>
>
> I took a look at the directory listings in the jar.  It looks like they only
> have the basics of a 1.1 style VM.  AKA only the basic stuff.
>
> It would be at least nice to compare and contrast between the different
> implementations to see if there is anythign we can bring over.  Of course if
> it
> isn't Free Software there is nothing we can do.

Treat their class libraries as you would treat Sun source code.  For
the purposes of the Classpath project, that means don't refer to it.

The Jikes VM team is interested in finding a free software class
library that would support research modifications and distribution
just as their VM does.  I'm hopeful that they will join in our effort.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>