Re: Package and Modifier

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Package and Modifier
Date: 05 Oct 2001 10:06:02 -0600

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> I reindented java/lang/Package.java so a diff with the libgcj
Mark> version is more clear about the real differences.
Mark> [ patch omitted ]
Mark> Note that the libgcj version is clearly wrong since
Mark> getSecurityManager() can return null when no SecurityManager is
Mark> installed. But I am not sure if the Classpath version really
Mark> works correctly. Will investigate this.

I imagine the libgcj version was done this way because libgcj doesn't
have a VMSecurityManager class.  Adding one would be fine -- but
there's no easy way to implement getClassContext in libgcj right now,
so this code is simply going to fail anyway.  I don't know exactly how
much work it would be to change libgcj to allow getClassContext to
function, but I think it is significant.

I'd like to see the VM* classes moved out of java.lang and into some
other package, say gnu.classpath.  In libgcj we've adopted a policy of
only putting public classes into java.lang -- implementation classes
go somewhere else.  This seems like a good policy to me.

Tom