cjk-list

[cjk] I think I got the full fix ( Re: Fwd: HELP with emacs 25.1 and cjk

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [cjk] I think I got the full fix ( Re: Fwd: HELP with emacs 25.1 and cjk-enc.el )
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 08:02:26 +0000 (UTC)

Here is the diff, and the updated version.

With this, I can get cjk/example/Big5.tex to work with emacs 25.x, and also
also process the bare test2.tex from Bo-Yin, if and only if I set
LANG=zh_TW.Big5  LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5 LC_ALL=zh_TW.Big5 .

I needed to make two adjustments to test2.tex - change {kai} to {bkai} (what's
available by default on TeXLive), and change \larger to \large . I suspect
these two are not important and probably system-specific.

The LANG issue also explains why I cannot run cjk-enc.el correctly with emacs
23+ - without setting LANG etc to zh_TW.Big5, and in the absence of a 'coding:
big5' comment, my system mis-process bare big5 input as iso-8859-1 .

The additional changes beyond the message() fix doesn't really do much more
than (1) equal "big5" to "chinese-big5-1" and "chinese-big5-2" , (2) put ascii
ahead of big5 in the priority. I suspect (1) is a recent emacs 25 change; (2)
really demonstrates how flaky/clever recent emacs is - it tries to say small or
large english stuff within a chinese run is all chinese. sigh...

I'll write this up properly and send a formatted patch and changelog when I
understand better why the fix works, but for now, I think it works :-).