cinvoke-dev

RE: [cinvoke-dev] FAQ :)

From: Will Weisser
Subject: RE: [cinvoke-dev] FAQ :)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:56:07 -0500

At the C API level they're pretty similar, aside from some minor
quibbles.  libFFI has been around longer and is much more portable, but
the last "release" was in 1998.  An explanation why and the current
status of libFFI is detailed here:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libffi-discuss/2006/msg00039.html

The main difference from my POV is concentrating on interfacing with
existing languages so people don't have to write extension modules just
to call a few C functions.  The current crop of interpreters (PHP, Perl,
Python, Ruby, Lua, Tcl, etc. etc.) aren't going anywhere anytime soon,
but if you're writing code in these languages and you happen to need
something quickly from C, you're faced with a disproportionate amount of
effort in terms of coding/building/distributing/etc.  Writing things in
[insert language here] is supposed to be fast and easy.

So, the way we're attacking this is: 1) Design the C library to it's
easy to integrate with existing languages. 2) Actually implement
extension modules which provide P/Invoke-like interfaces on various
languages ourselves.

        -W.W.