Re: [Chicken-users] hahn/salmonella issues

From: lundi
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hahn/salmonella issues
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:12:46 +0100

Hi,

On 1/30/19 9:14 AM, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

I don't know how hahn/hahn-utils work, but both seem to be ok according
to you test system [1][2].  It seems that you are using hahn-utils, but
you have hahn in your dependency specification.  According to the
dependency graphs, hahn-utils depends on hahn, not the other way around
[3][4].  It's possible that hahn is documented using itself, and that it
would optionally use hahn-utils (that would be a circular dependency),
but I'm not sure about that.

I might have been a bit confused about things myself. Anyway, first of all there are two different things named hahn: 1) The hahn binary, which is provided by the hahn-utils egg; and 2) the hahn egg, which provides the run-hahn macro. From the hahn egg doc:

The hahn binary from hahn-utils generates the actual documentation; the hahn
egg provides a convenience macro run-hahn so that installation does not fail
for users who haven't installed hahn-utils.

There is a soft-dependency on the otherwise dependency-heavy egg hahn-utils:
users don't have to have it unless they want to generate docs themselves, for
some reason.
And from hahn-utils:

Hahn-utils is mainly interesting because it provides the hahn program that
takes code documented with hahn and converts it into documentation.

Hahn-utils is a soft-dependency and shouldn't be included in depends.

As far as I can tell, hahn (the egg) is not documented using itself, but hahn-utils is.

In any case, the problem seems to be that run-hahn does not work, neither through salmonella nor through csi. From csi with hahn and hahn-utils loaded, the error looks like this:

(run-hahn -o xmkit.wiki xmkit.scm)

Warning: Documentation not generated: unbound variable

This may be because hahn-utils is not installed. Hahn-utils is an
optional egg for generating documentation and installation will
succeed without it.

Note: the following toplevel variables are referenced but unbound:

  run
  hahn
  -o
  xmkit.wiki
  xmkit.scm

Uh-oh. Note the parsing of "run" and "hahn" as two different vars. Should this be considered a bug? I'd file an issue on Github in that case but I would like to make sure first that the problem is with hahn/hahn-utils and not Chicken.

So I guess for the time being I should just stick to running hahn from command line, and not use run-hahn in .setup. How would I provide local documentation with my egg then, though? Would it normally be fetched from the wiki svn by chicken-install?

On the other hand, I think ultimately hahn is maybe not an ideal solution. First of all it's not available in Chicken 5 yet... though of course the author is a very busy man, so chances are he'll port it at some point. What bugs me though is the docstring style. I think comment-style in-source documentation (like Doxygen) is much cleaner. So I'm looking at SchemeDoc now (http://people.cs.aau.dk/~normark/schemedoc/). I'm afraid though I won't have time to make it work with Chicken any time soon though. Providing the LAML compat functions seems easy enough, but writing a SchemeDoc to snvwiki converter is quite a chunk of work imo. Also it seems Chicken once had a thing called Docscm, not sure what happened to that?

Best wishes,
-Heinz