[Chicken-users] Chicken on Windows 10 - Was: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.0.0 release

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: [Chicken-users] Chicken on Windows 10 - Was: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.0.0 release candidate 2 available
Date: 12 Sep 2018 15:15:39 +0200

Hi all,

who is running chicken on Windows 10 here? How do you manage? I'm not sold to msys; I just tried first time and failed miserably.

Any idea how to do a better setup (for chicken 5 release candidates) welcome.

Maybe we can fix the support for msys2 nevertheless;
So far I found two issues on Windows 10 + msys2 + mingw-w64:

1. chicken-install does not pick up the contents of setup.defaults by itself.

Workaround: chicken-install -defaults /usr/local/share/chicken/setup.defaults

-- which is saying: give the defaults from the installation on the command line again.
  -- This does the download and generates the build scripts (*.build.bat)

2. Using "start" to open a window running cmd.exe I found that I can not call chicken-do using the full path. As it is in the PATH variable I tried to copy the invocation line with only the path leading to chicken-do removed.

  This leads to:
/usr/local/bin/csc -host -D compiling-extension -J -s -setup-mode -I C:\msys64\home\... ... ....so
  creating subprocess failed

Best

/Jörg