Re: [Chicken-users] porting eggs experiences and questions

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] porting eggs experiences and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2018 19:09:12 +0200

Thanks Mario and Kristian for your responses.

On Aug 17 2018, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

I'm maintaining all my eggs in the same repo, same branch, same
.release-info file and same versioning scheme for both CHICKEN 4 and 5.

That's what I'd want.

In my experience, that's not difficult.

once you know what you're doing ;-)

* Observation: chicken-install does not install dependencies

This is just odd: The .egg file contains (dependencies srfi-18);
chicken-install did the download but not install it. So compilation
failed until I manually did

chicken-install srfi-18

That's weird.  We don't observe this behavior on any of the automated
tests (http://tests.call-cc.org).

It is.  But it seems consistent in my setup.

I tried: `chicken-install srfi-13`: this did the download for srfi-14 compiled and failed to install srfi-13.

Next I did `chicken-install srfi-14` and it installed from the download cache. Then chicken-install srfi-13 succeeded.

Maybe I'm using a weired setup? In order to not confuse c4 and c5 I have no chicken in my default path. I cleaned up the $PREFIX ("~/c5") and installed c5rc1 there. Then I added ~/c5/bin to $PATH.

* chicken-install -n -test

Fails.  One needs to actually install first, then run the test.

Better at least warn that we test the installed version, not the
current one. (I recall this bite me before.)

Best: just load the version from the working directory.

I think this pretty much depends on how tests are implemented.  If they
import things assuming that the eggs are installed, you have to install
them before running tests.  Or you can hack your tests to load/import
the code from the source directory.

What's your recommended way to load/import from the source directory?

Thanks

/Jörg