[Chicken-users] CHICKEN ezd 0.1

From: Kooda
Subject: [Chicken-users] CHICKEN ezd 0.1
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 18:26:04 +0100

Hi there chickeneers!

I’ve been working on a port of the ezd graphics server / GUI
library (for unix-like systems only) from DEC for the past few weeks,
and today I finally tagged a release!

It includes all of the original examples and a variant of the clock
example that uses the ezd-external helper module I created.

You can find the tarball here:
http://www.upyum.com/cgit.cgi/ezd/snapshot/ezd-0.1.tar.bz2

Everything should be explained in the README.md file, just run
chicken-install in the directory to install everything.

If you do anything with it or if you find bugs, please contact me!

Keep in mind that it’s not finished yet and the code still uses a lot
of functionalities from Scheme->C, some of which I reimplemented myself
and some are from the scheme2c-compatibility egg. Also, the xlib
bindings are very low level. As a result, this version of ezd leaks
memory.

If you’re interested in the development, the git repository is
located here: git://upyum.com/ezd

The code is very close to the original, I only changed parts that
wouldn’t work with CHICKEN.

For the next release, I want to remove as much as the Scheme->C
specific code as possible. This includes the system file tasks, that I
crudely implemented with file-select, it would be nice to have this
integrated to CHICKEN’s scheduler.

Later, I want to either make the xlib bindings a tad less low-level or
directly switch to cairo as the drawing backend as it would make it
easier to port EZD to other systems like Windows.

Enjoy!