Re: [Chicken-users] New 4.11 install. "make" FAILS.

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New 4.11 install. "make" FAILS.
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 22:55:07 +0200

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 02:46:18PM -0400, Terry Phelps wrote:
> I downloaded the 4.11.0 tarball, edited config.make to set PLATFORM and
> PREFIX, and typed "make" on an ordinary RHEL 7 Linux box.
>
> It did a bunch of gcc compiles, and failed with this:
>
> chicken  build-version.scm -optimize-level 2 -include-path . -include-path
> ./ -inline -ignore-repository -feature chicken-bootstrap -no-warnings
> -specialize -types ./types.db   -explicit-use -no-trace -output-file
> build-version.c
> make: chicken: Command not found
> make: *** [build-version.c] Error 127

Hello Terry,

On what kind of file system did you untar?  Which version of tar did
you use?

There's a known bug on Haiku with BeFS where subsecond granularity is
not supported, causing "make" to believe that build-version.scm is newer
or has same timestamp as build-version.c, so it will try to recreate it.

A simple workaround is to first touch build-version.c, then run make.
But I'd really like to know what's causing this in the first place.

Cheers,
Peter