Re: [Chicken-users] Having trouble statically compiling code

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Having trouble statically compiling code
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 08:44:41 +0200

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 02:03:26AM +0100, stugol wrote:
>    Hi Peter,
>
>    We're close, but not quite there yet:
>
>      Error: (require) cannot load extension: setup-api
>                 Call history:
>                 intarweb.scm:577: irregex
>                 intarweb.scm:612: list
>                 intarweb.scm:612: make-parameter
>                 intarweb.scm:630: make-parameter
>                 intarweb.scm:718: list
>                 intarweb.scm:718: make-parameter
>                 intarweb.scm:743: list
>                 intarweb.scm:743: list
>                 intarweb.scm:790: make-parameter
>                 intarweb.scm:885: list
>                 intarweb.scm:885: make-parameter
>                 intarweb.scm:911: irregex
>                 intarweb.scm:934: irregex
>                 intarweb.scm:967: list
>                 intarweb.scm:967: make-parameter
>                 setup-helper.scm:12: ##sys#require                    <--
>
>    I tried artificially adding 'setup-api' as a dependency to 'intarweb',
>    but it's not a real package and so can't be linked.

It looks like something intarweb depends on is (include)ing setup-helper.
That egg is a constant source of trouble, especially when people use the
deprecated way of using it, through (include).  You'd have to grep the
sources and find the culprit, then report a bug to the respective egg's
author.

Kon, if you're reading this: It would be nice if setup-helper could
detect this deprecated usage and simply error.  That would temporarily
break some eggs, but at least it would help us find the broken ones.
In the long run, this will save everyone a world of grief (this causes
issues with cross-compilation, static compilation, deploy mode and
alternative repository paths in general).

Cheers,
Peter