Re: [Chicken-users] New Eggs: SRFI-121, SRFI-127, SRFI-133

From: Jeremy Steward
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New Eggs: SRFI-121, SRFI-127, SRFI-133
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 09:18:54 -0600

On 07/24/2016 05:59 AM, Peter Bex wrote:
| On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 01:28:25PM +0200, Mario Domenech Goulart
| wrote: Hi Jeremy,
|
|> The repositories can be found below:
|>
|> https://github.com/scheme-requests-for-implementation/srfi-121
|> https://github.com/scheme-requests-for-implementation/srfi-127
|
| Installation of srfi-127 fails because "lseqs/lseqs-impl.scm" is
| referenced but it is not in the list of files to be fetched (it is
| in the repository, but not listed in .meta's `files').
|
| Error: (open-input-file) cannot open file - No such file or
| directory: "lseqs/lseqs-impl.scm"

Ah! Curses, this was the third one I did yesterday, so I can see why I
messed it up. I fixed the typo in .meta and submitted a PR to the
repo. If you try again in a few hours (maybe tomorrow at latest) I
suspect it will have been merged and the egg can be added successfully.

| Generally speaking, I would avoid using "meta-file" as a
| distribution mechanism, precisely for this reason: it's too easy to
| forget adding particular files.  The targz distribution method
| works fine with GitHub.

Well, yes. I originally packaged SRFI 116/117/113/128 using the targz
method, but the SRFI editors add some extraneous files to the
repository (strangely enough, a targz of the entire repo is... in the
repo). In any case, rather than have users download a few extra MB of
extra files, I think this works better.

| We talked on IRC about using meta-file, but that was in an attempt
| to avoid forking the upstream eggs, but that didn't work out.

I do recall some discussion along these lines. However, here it's not
to avoid forking, but rather to avoid downloading files that might
pertain to other scheme distributions or may be unnecessary to provide
through `chicken-install` (the targz in the repo as the prime example).

- -- Jeremy Steward