Re: [Chicken-users] Understanding modules?

From: Evan Hanson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Understanding modules?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 14:15:44 +1200

Hi Norman,

A quick note about units and modules: the two are different things used
for different purposes. The former has to do with controlling the
compilation and linking of separate application components, whereas the
latter is about namespace management. The hunt continues for the best
way to explain either of these features in the manual (particularly
without confusing the two with one another, or with other features such
as deployment or the use of dynamic libraries), but they're almost
entirely orthogonal and equally useful, just for different things.

> Deployment: Either in the 'Modules' page (along with the other examples at
> the end) or in the 'Deployment' page, it would be useful to show how to
> deploy a program using modules.  The obvious things don't appear to work:

This looks like a bug to me. Based on the commands you listed, that
application "main/main" should work fine, so I suggest reporting this on
bugs.call-cc.org, if you don't mind.

> I've assembled a short list of minor buglets in eggs and egg documentation.
> Is it best if I report them here, or should I ask for an account on
> http://bugs.call-cc.org ?

The best approach is probably to report these individually on
bugs.call-cc.org. The documentation for any given egg is generally
managed by that egg's maintainer, so bug reports about their
documentation will ideally be grouped by extension rather than in one
big ticket so they can be correctly assigned.

Thanks very much for the detailed write-up -- feedback like this is
quite valuable.

Cheers,

Evan