[Chicken-users] openssl in deployed binaries

From: Nick Van Horn
Subject: [Chicken-users] openssl in deployed binaries
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:44:33 -0400

Hello all,

I've developed an application to run on Linux and OS X and have been
deploying binaries with success on several Linux architectures. The code
runs equally well on both operating systems when interpreted with
csi. My success with binary deployments is in spite of a known bug
involving (at least) the openssl egg:

https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1191

Someone on IRC gave me a work-around using `chicken-install -i` which
makes thing work on Linux. In brief, here's how I build successfully on
Linux:

# Compile and make deployment directory
csc -deploy foo.scm
# The work-around follows:
chicken-install -i foo
# Drop in the necessary eggs
chicken-install -deploy -p ./foo openssl

However, this work-around does not work on OS X. The resulting bundle
has libchicken linked twice to the resulting binary, resulting in an
error regarding the nursery size being too small.

Ideally the bug will be addressed. But in the meantime, does anyone have
a similar work-around for OS X to successfully deploy applications using
the openssl egg? To be clear, by leaving out the `chicken-install -t
foo` step, I run into the bug described in the ticket above.

Thanks,
Nick