Re: [Chicken-users] I've gots an egg: missing.egg

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] I've gots an egg: missing.egg
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:13:05 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in contributing, Alexej.  Please, see some
comments below.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:26:03 +0100 (BST) Alaric Snell-Pym <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015, Alexej Magura wrote:
>
>> Hey, I've got a new egg that I'm working on:
>> https://github.com/amagura/eggs/tree/master/staging/missing/trunk
>
> Excellent! May I offer some tips?
>
> 1+ and 1- duplicate add1 and sub1, which are already in the library:
> http://api.call-cc.org/doc/library/add1
>
> What is !* supposed to do? Using eval like that is most likely not a
> good idea. Should you be using apply instead? Something like "(not
> (apply fn ...))"?
>
> Rather than using a "settings" alist (note that mutation of things
> imported from modules is not a great idea!), it would be more
> idiomatic to use parameters:
>
> http://api.call-cc.org/doc/chicken/parameters
>
> Eg, export a paremter called "egg-actions-need-sudo" that's
> initialised to #f, and use the value of that in +install etc. That
> avoids mutation, and lets you safely override things locally
> (particularly in the presence of threads).
>
> This is a broad mixture of things to put into one egg, especially one
> claiming such a fine name as "missing" :-) It might be good to split
> the install/uninstall/upgrade stuff into an eggs egg, submit do* and
> setq for inclusion in miscmacros, and decide if you really need to
> publish the logic stuff, which seem less widely useful to me?

Also, with regard to the egg-related things, be careful when calling
CHICKEN tools.  What would happen when you:

* run "+install missing"?

* run "+install" from /not/in/PATH/csi ?

You'd have similar issues with the other REPL commands.

With regard to hosting your egg in the CHICKEN svn, I don't see a point,
since you already have your code on github.

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario