Re: [Chicken-users] performance of bignums

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] performance of bignums
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:26:53 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 05:04:17PM -0300, Stephen Eilert wrote:
> Not sure about the status of this particular GSOC, but SBCL could also be
> "cheating".
>
> http://www.sbcl.org/gsoc2013/ideas/#sec-1.2
>
> Now, I thought GMP were GPL'd and SBCL not, so I'm unsure about the legal
> implications, if it does bundle GMP now.

Thanks for posting that; I hadn't looked at the sbcl implementation
of the pi-digits benchmark, but indeed that page says "Pi digits on
the benchmarks game is currently a bunch of calls to GMP".  This would
*really* be cheating in my opinion, as it's not testing the language
implementation but using nonstandard extensions that replace stuff
that's already part of the core.

I had just assumed it would be using the sbcl native implementation
(which indeed is pretty damn good and almost 100% pure Lisp code).

Cheers,
Peter