[Chicken-users] egg names

From: Matt Welland
Subject: [Chicken-users] egg names
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 12:37:16 -0700

I accidentally replied direct to Peter in my reply to the call-with-environment-variables thread. Here is my original comment regarding the "cock" utility:

I've done some work recently but haven't updated its dependents to
specify the latest version.

> Really hate that name btw, very embarrassing to be working with a
> young female co-worker and have to maneuver around saying the name
> out loud, reflects very poorly on Chicken Scheme IMHO.

Isn't it a rooster-pun, given Chicken?

Obvious to you, obvious to me. Unfortunately not so immediately obvious to some. Wattle, cockadoodledoo and comb are all available and benign alternatives. It's not a big deal, it just felt unprofessional at that moment, like I was installing some software written by a 12 year old. I like the chicken theme and the word play. I needed to do a from-scratch install of chicken the other day and I called it a "raw chicken" install and got a chuckle from the infrastructure guy. All good.