Re: [Chicken-users] [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?

From: arc
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 20:46:44 +1200

On 08/04/15 00:18, John Cowan wrote:
Felix Winkelmann scripsit:

That there are so many implementors in the Lisp and Scheme community
probably makes this irrational emphasis on (execution-time)
performance so apparent in these groups. Or it's the remains of the
trauma of the AI-Winter, I don't know (and I don't care anymore.)

I believe it's older than that.  There was a steady drumbeat of
"Lisp is too slow to be usable" practically from the 1950s onward,
and you can still find it in certain ignorant quarters.  As a result,
the Lisp/Scheme community acts like the traumatized victim of a bully.
There are certain other language communities that do the same things
or the same reasons.

Speaking of #scheme some years ago: as soon as I saw Felix's complaint about the obsession on performance, I recalled you expressing this exact point, posed in the form of a riddle as to what made one group of languages different from the other :-)

(which was a bit tricksy, come to think of it... one doesn't normally think of a property of the community being a property of the language...)

These days, though, aren't the complaints more along the lines of 'it's old', 'I hate parentheses' (read: 'I refuse to learn anything without a C-like syntax') and 'what's the point? it has no commercial value.'?

-arc.