Re: [Chicken-users] [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 08:18:55 -0400

Felix Winkelmann scripsit:

> That there are so many implementors in the Lisp and Scheme community
> probably makes this irrational emphasis on (execution-time)
> performance so apparent in these groups. Or it's the remains of the
> trauma of the AI-Winter, I don't know (and I don't care anymore.)

I believe it's older than that.  There was a steady drumbeat of
"Lisp is too slow to be usable" practically from the 1950s onward,
and you can still find it in certain ignorant quarters.  As a result,
the Lisp/Scheme community acts like the traumatized victim of a bully.
There are certain other language communities that do the same things
or the same reasons.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
C'est la` pourtant que se livre le sens du dire, de ce que, s'y conjuguant