Re: [Chicken-users] reading file from post request

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] reading file from post request
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 21:21:42 +0200

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 05:40:31PM +0002, Nathaniel Rudavsky-Brody wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In an Awful web app, I'm trying to read an image posted as raw data to
> the server, since it seems multipart/form-data isn't supported. (Is
> that right?) But I get the feeling I'm missing something regarding
> ports and requests...
>
> I *think* my basic question is, how do I know the request is finished?

It depends a bit on the type of request; if it's using chunked encoding,
the request-port you get is delimited, so you can just read until EOF.
Otherwise, you'll have to check the request's content-length header.

The nice bit about this is that if the client uses chunked encoding,
there will be no content-length header.  So either you read until
content-length is hit, or until EOF.

> With JSON objects this wasn't a problem, using Medea:
>
> >(read-json (request-port (current-request))
> >consume-trailing-whitespace: #f)

The reason you didn't run into problems here is that JSON objects
are self-delimited.  They always look like {...} or [...].  However,
if some library accidentally put some trailing whitespace in there you
would probably run into trouble upon reading the next request, when the
connection is keepalive.

Cheers,
Peter
--