Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: glfw3

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] New egg: glfw3
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 00:34:17 +0000

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 10:59:19 -0400 Alex Charlton <address@hidden> wrote:

> I’ve created an egg that provides bindings to version 3 of the GLFW
> library (which handles OpenGL contexts, windows and events), which can
> be found here:
>
> https://github.com/AlexCharlton/glfw3-chicken
>
> While there are already bindings to GLFW in the Chicken repository,
> those bindings are specific to pre-version-3 GLFW. I created a new egg
> because 1) the GLFW API changed significantly with this new version,
> and 2) the old bindings may still be of interest to people using the
> older version of GLFW.
>
> If this sort of duplication is acceptable for the Chicken repository,
> then could someone kindly add my egg:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AlexCharlton/glfw3-chicken/master/glfw3.release-info
>
> If not, then don’t worry about it!

Very nice.  Thanks for sharing your code.

If version 3 changed the API changed significantly, I think it's
reasonable that we have a separate egg for it.

Some notes and questions:

* I noticed the compile line in the .setup file links your egg against
  libglfw.  If I understand correctly, GLFW doesn't put the version
  number in the library filename.  So, you can't have, for example,
  version 2 and 3 installed on the same system at the same time.  Does
  that sound right?  I ask because we'd have to have both versions (2
  and 3) installed on our test machines.

* With regard to the .release-info file, you probably need
  {egg-name}-chicken instead of just {egg-name}, since your repository
  directory is glfw3-chicken and the egg name is glfw3.

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario