Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken and GUI programming

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken and GUI programming
Date: 28 Jul 2013 11:46:19 +0200

On Jul 28 2013, Felix wrote:

From: Michele La Monaca <address@hidden>
Subject: [Chicken-users] Chicken and GUI programming
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:19:57 +0200
So my question is: it's just me not properly using Chicken's
"cooperative" threads (which might be well the case since I am not
accustomed to those), or I've hit an intrinsic limit of Chicken being
single threaded (in the pthread sense of "concurrent" threads)?

The threads CHICKEN uses are not compatible with native threads.
The CHICKEN-runtime is definitely single threaded. For UNIXish
systems + pthreads there is an egg that does what Christian
describes, but including full thread-synchronization:

http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/concurrent-native-callbacks

That's good!

A few more dependencies than my pthread.scm, does thread-sync as well.
Big pluses: it will *generate* the native code, makes thread-sync optional
and accept other return values than integer.

Nice work

/Jörg