Re: [Chicken-users] Best way to share memory between C and Chicken

From: Dan Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Best way to share memory between C and Chicken
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 09:59:26 -0700

*cringe*

This will certainly expose what is and is not thread-safe within Chicken. I've worked with a team in implementing such behaviour in the Unreal engine, albeit a frankenengine of sorts, and with three dedicated programmers the endeavour required about a month. But we had the benefit of knowing the totality of the code's usage, whereas implementing such behaviour could break all sorts of applications written for Chicken Scheme.

OTOH, this would be an enormous boon to the flexibility of Chicken Scheme. If it were possible to safely run GC on separate threads, or at least have a sort of objective-C level of control over GC, it would make implementing native threaded applications far less... hazy

Just my two cents, but if the Chicken Team were to pursue this I'd like to see it as a major revision feature. IE, Chicken 5: now with very different GC behaviour!

-Dan