[Chicken-users] Unit testing of non-exported procedures

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: [Chicken-users] Unit testing of non-exported procedures
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:02:39 -0600

Hello, chicken people--

I am writing a test suite for an egg I am developing, using the 'test'
egg. So far I've written 17 tests with various supporting data, for a
total of 274 lines of code ... I estimate that is about 10-20% of what
I need for thorough test coverage. So before I go much further ...

Much of what I want to test is the functioning of various support
procedures that in principle are not part of the public API. Given
that the egg is in alpha status, the module currently exports all
symbols, and I don't mind saying "If it isn't documented, don't use
it." And this way I can test everything. But in more mature versions,
I want to restrict the API, but retain the ability to perform unit
testing on all the internal procedures. And of course, the test egg
can only test exported symbols. I think 'testeez' might work, except
that I need to be able to verify that certain conditions will cause
errors, and testeez doesn't appear to be able to run that kind of
test.

So, any recommendations on how best to do this?

--
Matt Gushee