Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:08:21 +0100

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [130215 23:36]:
> > ### FROM: Felix <address@hidden>
> > ###   ON: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:49:20  0100 (CET)
> >
> > From: Vitaly Magerya <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error with clang/FreeBSD
> > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:07:30  0200

> > > Yup, just tested csc modified that way; -deploy works correctly with
> > > gcc, clang and even pcc.
> > >

> > Did you build chicken with pcc? Are there any modifications necessary?
> > I would be very interested about the details. I wasn't able to build
> > a working pcc so far.
> >

> > cheers,
> > felix
> >

> I tried pcc a couple of years ago, though rather disappointing that compiling
> chicken with it failed miserably.  I don't have the details now, but vaguely
> remember pcc couldn't handle some gcc-specific requirements as they were at
> the time.
>
> However using gcc-compiled chicken/csc -c on scheme source, I was able to
> compile the C files with gcc, pcc and clang and compare the results.
> Curiously, the clang and pcc apps were the just about the same size, in one
> example, clang (54402 b), pcc (54414 b), whereas gcc-compiled  app was
> somewhat smaller (38572 b).  Notably they all ran just fine, and I didn't
> notice significant performance differences.
>
> Don't know if anyone has tried other competent unix C compilers, e.g., from
> Intel.  It seems likely there are enough quirky differences among C compilers
> that it's difficult to create C source code universally compilable even on
> the same platform.  Standards are supposed to account for it, but we all know
> how that goes.

On that note:

I do have a semi working chicken using pcc as a C compiler. It does
have some issues though, I will try to resurrect it out of a ugarit
snapshot.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
In the world, there is nothing more submissive and weak than
water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong, nothing can