Re: [Chicken-users] Askemos again; … better news ; still: Needs some sup

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Askemos again; … better news ; still: Needs some support/donation.
Date: 25 Jan 2013 09:07:39 +0100

On Jan 24 2013, Daniel Leslie wrote:

To fix the case I rather urgently need to find at least two locations,
where I dare to replicate my notes wrt. to my personal privacy.  One
already secured; so one more whom I can trust not to embarrass me by
leaking info taking as a "remembrance to myself".  Preferable outside
Germany.

Are you saying that you require access to a physical server outside of
Germany, on which you may bootstrap instances of Askemos to act as
replication peers?

Yes, Dan.  Thanks for your consideration.

Though I'd only need one user account, not the whole machine;
any port would do. Needs about 100M virtual memory under load.

Also the immdiate need is fixed. The problem was a "not well
considered business decision".

But that doesn't change the principled version of the problem:
there's an SPOF, which can not force the cloud off, but it *can*
prevent further updates until fixed.

If so, I'm sorry to say that I'm stuck on a slow residential cable line and

this is in fact how most of the peers run. A plug computer behind customer grade aDSL. Currently there is a *single* chicken at a vhost rented from an ISP. This serves the web; other replicas now to be reenabled in dns.

For my backup needs to wrt. personal data this is perfect because
I know how to get this off the net if there was any sudden reason.
Any phone call or email would do. Can't do that with a vhost visible to
anybody who can access the ISP's backup.

haven't the cash to spare for the continuous operation of a server. Between
my wife's tuition and the mortgage, we're rather tight for cash.

I can relate the situation. Even without a wife, a mortgage can be a burden.
Had this until the "real estate crisis" half a decade ago.  :-[

Cash is still tight since.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Jörg F. Wittenberger <