Re: [Chicken-users] SRFI-18 mutexes with timeouts behave differently fro

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SRFI-18 mutexes with timeouts behave differently from mutexes without timeouts
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:24:22 +0100

Hi,

> When I added a timeout weird things started happening so I made a
> self-contained test case:

I notice that my code is almost identical to that in the wiki under the
documentation for thread-yield!:

-----
    ; a busy loop that avoids being too wasteful of the CPU

    (let loop ()
      (if (mutex-lock! m 0) ; try to lock m but don't block
          (begin
            (display "locked mutex m")
            (mutex-unlock! m))
          (begin
            (do-something-else)
            (thread-yield!) ; relinquish rest of quantum
            (loop))))
-----

Trying my self-contained test case above with an additional
thread-yield! in the unsuccessful branch and timeouts of 0 and 1 result
in the same problem of eventually being unable to lock the mutex.

Regards,
@ndy

--
address@hidden