Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install doesn't install compiled submodules

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install doesn't install compiled submodules
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:27:29 +0200

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 20:20 +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> * Juergen Lorenz <address@hidden> [120324 11:42]:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > when installing (via chicken-install) a module with a number of
> > submodules (for example iup) I noticed, that the submodules are only
> > installed as *.import.scm, albeit the *.import.so files are generated
> > behind the scene and temporarily stored (according to the -k switch).
> > Is this a bug or a feature? What's the rationale behind it?
>
> I guess this is an oversight from the respective egg maintainers.
> Which eggs do show such behaviour besides IUP?
> [...]

Hello,

you are welcome to check the setup script of the IUP egg: The import
libraries are all compiled to *.import.so shared objects and the
install-extension commands only list those *.import.so files to be
installed but for some reason chicken-install decides to reinterpret
these commands and installs the *.import.scm files instead.

Unfortunately I don't remember in which CHICKEN version this behaviour
changed, but I'm sure that chicken-install behaved differently at the
time I created the setup script for the IUP egg.

I have no idea whether that the change was intentional but since it
doesn't really break anything I never found it worth investigating.

Ciao,
Thomas