Re: [Chicken-users] compiling chicken on (crippled) embedded platforms

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] compiling chicken on (crippled) embedded platforms
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:32:45 +0600

> No, not currently and AFAIK there are no plans to add this.
>
> Chibi would seem a more likely candidate, but I don't see an option
> to compile that without floating-point support right now, either.

i've managed to compile and run chibi without float support. i had to
talk to the author and fix a few things but the HEAD pretty much
compiles and runs.

my problem with chibi is that once i've flashed the firmwares and the
devices are sent out, then an FFI bug is a real headache. chicken
seems to be more mature on this front.

(i'm planning to have a small bootstrap C code that downloads and runs
signed scheme files from the net)

BTW, is there dynamic FFI in chicken? one that doesn't require C code,
but relies on runtime symbol lookup? (TRFM pointers are also welcome).

> Of course, patches are welcome if they're not too ugly or invasive,
> which this kind of thing unfortunately can be.  Perhaps a good
> starting point is the -msoft-float compiler option - at least this
> should allow us to keep floating-point support.

hrm, i'll have to read up on -msoft-float. maybe i just need to pass
this for gcc when compiling and then the linker will find the
appropriate float routines in their libraries.

thanks for the quick answer!

--
 attila

Notice the erosion of your (digital) freedom, and do something about it!

PGP: 2FA1 A9DC 9C1E BA25 A59C  963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
OTR XMPP: 8647EEAC EA30FEEF E1B55146 573E52EE 21B1FF06