Re: [Chicken-users] script to generate html from wiki-formatted text?

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] script to generate html from wiki-formatted text?
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:08:12 +0200

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 05:35:39PM -0400, John Gabriele wrote:

> Looked like I might need libsvn-dev, so installed that and tried again.
>
> Success!
>
> Do egg doc pages generally list external prereqs (such as how qwiki
> required libapr1-dev and libsvn-dev)? Should I add a "Prerequisites"
> section to the doc for qwiki?

Hello John,

Generally, *all* eggs require the "development" versions of any
libraries they depend on since they need to be compiled.
It's hard to make an exhaustive list of packages required because
different operating systems package libraries differently and split
them up very differently.

For instance, under NetBSD's pkgsrc all libraries are installed with
development headers, while under RedHat you often need a development
package. Debian even splits things up further, into library, development
headers and documentation.

I'm afraid that this is very system-dependent.  We generally assume
developers can figure this out on their own (and so you did).

If you have suggestions on how to improve this without listing all the
package names of all the distributions out there, that would of course
be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Peter
--