Re: [Chicken-users] type extension ("inheritance") and define-record

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] type extension ("inheritance") and define-record
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:25:34 -0400

Thomas Chust scripsit:

> It happens simply because some compiler optimizations rely on the
> assumption that a variable is never set! outside the module that defines it.
>
> It is common practice to adhere to this convention in Scheme programming
> and some dialects of Scheme, for example Racket, even enforce it in general.

Indeed, it is a requirement of R6RS, and R7RS-small will make it an error
(undefined results) to mutate an imported identifier, so Scheme programmers
writing to that standard will not be able to rely on it working.

--
Babies are born as a result of the              John Cowan
mating between men and women, and most          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan